Turmeric, most commonly known as Haldi in India, when we think of this. the first thing that came to our mind in the cooking dishes and hold on ! Turmeric is not only for delicious recipes, but it is also great for our skin!
Turmeric is a spice used mainly in Asian cooking, specifically Indian cuisine. Turmeric plays a big role in that spice mixture, and it`s also present in yellow mustard. Our north Indian dishes are full of spices and turmeric is the most important spice for our dishes. Turmeric is bright orange-yellow in color, with a light, complementary taste and smell.
This wonderful product from nature has so many amazing benefits for our skin, some of them are provided as below :
- Turmeric As A Glowing Face Mask
Turmeric contains antioxidants and anti-inflammatory components. These characteristics may provide a healthy glow to the skin which we need in this hectic life style. Turmeric is useful in bringing out our skin`s natural glow from within.
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 1 teaspoon of raw organic honey
- 1 teaspoon of natural yogurt (or milk)
How To Prepare And Use :
Put 1 tablespoon of turmeric, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 tablespoon of yogurt(or milk) into a bowl and Stir well to make a thick paste from it. You can adjust the amount of yogurt(milk) according to the thickness of the paste Wear clothes you won`t mind staining as turmeric leaves stains. which can be easily applied on to the face that is not too thick or runny. Wear clothes you won`t mind staining as turmeric leaves stains.
Wash your face with mild soap or face wash and pat it completely dry before applying this turmeric mask.
Apply the pack on the face and leave it over there for about 15-20 minutes. Wash if off with plain water and let the face dry completely. Apply moisturiser that suit your skin type. And if there is some leftover paste that can be restored into the fridge for 2 days more and you can add milk again to it if it is hard due to storage in the fridge. After 2-3 weeks or so, you will see a healthy glow and clear skin which you will definitely love. Use this mask on every alternate day or twice in a week. This mask is useful in improving the complexion with regular usage.
Turmeric As A Treatment For HyperPigmentation
While hyperpigmentation is not a serious medical condition but some home remedies are beneficial to reduce the condition considerably. Hyperpigmentation is a common skin problem that occurs as a result of excess melanin production in the body. This excess production can be caused due to prolonged sun exposure, , acne, inflammation, hormonal imbalance or due to side effect of certain drugs. For those who are suffering from this condition, it is difficult to find an effective treatment to lighten these stubborn dark patches and regain that natural, even skin tone again. Luckily, there is a completely natural ingredient that may prove to be extremely beneficial that is turmeric.
This mask may be applied on the whole face or on the pigmented skin.
This is our grandmother`s recipe of turmeric mask which is well known in our Indian families for the subtle glow on the skin. But, this mask is really useful in reducing hyperpigmentation caused to the skin. With regular usage of two or three weeks, it can help in improving skin complexion and reducing hyperpigmentation too.
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2-3 tablespoons gram flour (known as besan in hindi)
- 1/2 teaspoon of milk, enough to form a paste
- Lemon Juice if you have oily skin, or cucumber juice if can of sensitive skin. This step is optional and can be skipped (Optional).
How To Prepare And Use :
- Mix the gram flour and turmeric together in a bowl until evenly combined.
- Add enough milk to ensure a creamy consistency of the mask.
- Mix them well until a smooth paste is formed and ensure that it is not too watery or runny or else it will not stick to your face and not too thick as your face will feel tightness. In case of watery mixture, add some more gram flour to thicken it. And, if it becomes too thick, then add some more milk to make it an even paste.
- Further, Oily skinned people can add 3 to 4 drops of lemon juice and sensitive skinned people can add cucumber juice instead of lemon juice. This step is optional.
- Apply the mixture on your face (or other affected area) and leave it there on for approximately 15 minutes, or until the mask completely dry. Do not speak to anyone or over the phone while the mask has applied else it will lead to wrinkled skin.
- Rinse the face pack with the warm water and massage using gentle circular movements using your fingertips while removing the mask. Wash the face completely to remove the mask.
- Let the face completely dry and then finish it off by applying the appropriate moisturiser that is meant for your skin type.
Turmeric For The Beautiful Skin
This is also Known as haldi chandan face mask and indian brides use this face mask as a ritual in their haldi ceremony. There are many masks available in the market as well and this can be prepared at home too.
- 1-2 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 2-3 teaspoons sandalwood powder(known as chandan powder)
- 1/2 cup of gram flour(besan)
- some drops of almond oil or pure ghee
- some water
How To Prepare And Use :
- Combine 1-2 teaspoon of turmeric powder with 2-3 teaspoons of sandalwood (chandan) powder.
- Mix them well and then add some drops of almond oil or pure ghee whichever available.
- Now Add some water to make a paste again not too thick not too watery in nature and if so, then again, add sandalwood powder for the thickening of the paste or add some more water to to make an even smooth pack and then apply all over the face. Avoid under eye area.
- Leave it there for 15-20 minutes until the face becomes completely dry.
- Now, Splash some plain water and massage using gentle circular movements of your fingertips and rinse well the whole face pack.
- Use a dry towel and pat your face dry and don`t forget to apply your favourite moisturiser.
Word Of Caution : Turmeric can stain clothes so chose your clothes wisely before applying any turmeric mask which you can bear staining. Although, stains go away after washing but still all clothes are not same.